Goals and Objectives
1) Promote the highest levels of human aspiration and artistic integrity through the composition, documentation, and performance of music.
2) Develop an analytical, creative, and intuitive understanding of music as a cultural language.
3) Afford students opportunities for cultural and aesthetic experiences through active participation in music, enhance their understanding and appreciation of the arts, and foster interaction between music and the liberal arts.
4) Enrich the campus and the region through concerts, workshops, and other public events, and provide opportunities for traditional and contemporary musical expression by students, faculty, guest artists, and members of the community.
5) Serve the University System of Maryland, the state, and the nation as an internationally recognized center for cutting-edge research in contemporary art-music through creative work in music technology, composition, and performance.
6) Promote and support student research and collaborations, often conducted jointly with faculty through publications and performances.
7) Provide opportunities and guidance to prepare our students for a professional life in music through mentorship, internships, entrepreneurial experience, and training as educators.
8) Promote diversity among our faculty and students.